Friday 20 January 2012

Hannah's Kitchen


Local chef & patisserie queen Hannah Jones from Hannah's Buns stops by to share her weekly post with us. Sharing her tips, advice & her special recipes. For more of what Hannah has been up to visit her blog http://hannahsbuns.blogspot.com/ 









I first heard about The Keddington Butchers whilst working at The Plough in Hundon.  One of the chefs there told me that’s where they buy most of their meat from and that I should visit them for a chat.  I went there a few times and was absolutely delighted by how friendly and helpful the staff was.  They always gave me advice on how to cook the joints and which were the best cuts to use.  I decided to take the plunge and ask them if I could do a little work experience with them.   I was training to be a chef at the time and thought it would help my career to have more knowledge about the meat I cook and the different cuts.  They said “yes“and I was thrilled.  I worked at the butchers for three days and got to make my own sausages, prepare lamb chops and joint half a pig.  It was really exciting and also helpful towards my ambitions of becoming a chef. The Keddington Butchers has been trading for over forty years.  The lovely Michael taught me on my work experience days and interestingly many years ago also taught the well known Rosemary Shrager how to make sausages.  The meat is locally sourced as much as possible and they sell both free range and non free range chickens at reasonable prices.  Their pork comes from Jo straight who is based in Helions Bumpstead.  This is the meat I will be using for my recipe this week. 

Hannah’s Pork and apple stew
Serves 4
2 tbsp Olive oil
500g lean pork (cut into bite size pieces)
1 Onion
2 Carrots
2 leeks
Small handful of sage
250ml Chicken stock
1 Bay leaf
Half tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Corn flour
100g Crème fraiche
1 Apple (cut into wedges)

1.     . Brown the pork in batches in a hot frying pan with 1tbsp of oil.
2.        Then transfer to a stewing pot on low heat with the other tbsp of oil.
3.     .  Sweat the onion off in the frying then add to the pork.
4.        Add the carrots, leeks and stock to the pork and bring to a boil.
5.      Then add your bay leaf, sage and season. Turn down the heat put the lid on the pan and cook for one and a half hours.
6.      Stir the mustard and corn flour into the crème fraiche then add to the stew with the apple wedges.
7.      Cook for a further eight minutes until the apples are cooked.
8.      Serve in a warm bowl with crusty bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment